The block of land purchased in 1929 (approx. 3 acres for $65,000) from wealthy industrialist and home developer George D. Horst, who owned most of the land in the city’s Hampden Heights section. In the Spring of 1930, William C Bitting--Owner of the Rosedale Knitting Mill, began construction of the mansion of one of the largest homes in Pennsylvania at 28,000 sqft.
In 1955 the property was for sale and eventually purchased by The Lutheran Home at Topton using a bequest from Elizabeth B. Caum of Bethlehem, to expand services to senior citizens. It was originally known as Caum Memorial Home and eventually, the formal name was changed to Caum Assisted Living. The facility was closed in 2005. Then later purchased by the current owner David Leeland.>